As a partner of The MENTOR Network, REM Iowa has access to the nation’s best thinking in human services and a successful track record of serving adults and children in home- and community-based settings.
REM Iowa’s Community Integrated Day Habilitation programs support adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in developing or maintaining life skills and community integration.
We offer recreation and social activities in a nurturing environment where individuals can make friends and develop new skills to help them live life to the fullest.
Specially trained Day Habilitation staff partner with the individual, their family members and other significant people in their lives to create an Individualized Service Plan (ISP). This plan identifies each adult’s unique needs, interests and preferences for service. With staff support, adults build social and other life skills related to their ISP, including:
- Behavior management
- Problem solving
- Decision making
- Daily living skills
- Motor skills
- Opportunities to Learn and Grow
REM Iowa’s Day Habilitation programs help individuals with disabilities participate actively in their communities through stimulating activities where they can learn, grow and form lasting friendships. Activities are tailored to each participant’s needs and interests and may include:
- Community outings – Participants enjoy structured outings to locations such as parks and museums.
- Volunteer opportunities – Volunteer projects help individuals be active in the community while giving back.
- Music therapy – Participants learn to play instruments and participate in fun group activities such as talent shows.
- Cooking classes – Staff teach basic cooking and meal preparation to improve daily living skills.
- Gardening – Participants improve motor, social and cognitive skills through outdoor gardening projects.
- Exercise – Group exercise time helps develop social skills and physical fitness.
Art – Participants learn to express themselves through crafts and other creative projects.
It’s All About Choice
We respect the people we serve and recognize that they have a choice. Whether they are interested in music, art or volunteer opportunities, our team supports individuals in choosing and participating in activities that are meaningful to them. This enables each person we serve to live life to the fullest while achieving the personal growth they desire.
Specially Trained Staff: Our Day Habilitation staff receive comprehensive training in supporting adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities and other complex needs, including complex medical issues, mental health diagnoses and behavioral health challenges.
Individualized Service Planning: We carefully match the individuals we serve with the activities that suit their preferences and needs and regularly reassess service plans to meet changing needs.
Commitment to Quality: Our Quality Improvement team helps ensure health, safety and positive outcomes for the people we serve.